St. Nicholas Church, Hunedoara

The church whose patron is St. Nicholas is the oldest in the town of Hunedoara. Located on the right bank of the Cerna river, in the vicinity of the Corvins’ castle, the church is related to the ideological dispute between bishopIoan de Caffa and Franciscan Ioan de Capistrano, resulting in the destruction of the old (probably wooden) church. In 1458 king Matia, "allows the Serbians and Wallachians " to build a new church on the old location. The actual mural bears the inprint of the 17th century style as a result of a comprehensive restoration confirmed by the text of the rotive (1654) above the nave door.