The Museum of Dacian and Roman Civilization Deva

The museum functions in the building of the Magna Curia Palace, built in the 16th century, the oldest historic monument in Deva. Looking like a bastion, the palace was built as a holiday house by Francisc Geszty, in 1582. It was turned by Gabriel Bethlen in 1621 into a Renaissance-style building, only later to acquire a prevailing Baroque aspect when, in the 18th century, monumental stairs towards the park and a plurilobular balcony were added. Between the castle and the fortress of Deva, located on the top of the hill, there used to be tunnels meant for withdrawal in case of siege, but which are collapsed nowadays. In 1918, the Bethlen Castle was passed in the property of the Romanian state and since 1938 the History Museum of Hunedoara County was established there. The Museum of Dacian and Roman Civilizations has one of the most valuable archeological collections in Romania, as well as numismatic, ethnographic, natural science and art collections. The library has over 40.000 volumes. At present, the museum is in course of reorganization, the only permanent exhibition being the lapidarium, organized behind the building, and which houses important antique inscriptions and tombstones. Temporary exhibitions are also organized.