Germisara – Geoagiu-Băi, the Roman baths, the Roman road

Imagine: 
English
The thermal Roman baths are located in the town of Geogiu Băi, on a circular promontory rising 350 m high and known as „Dâmbul Romanilor” [The Romans’ Hillock]. The healing properties of the thermal waters from Geoagiu-Bai have been known since antiquity. During the Roman period, the compound functioned in two ways: an exclusively surface one and a subterranean and surface one. In the center of the hillock there is a natural cavity, resulting from the subterranean activity of the waters and which, in the antique times, was filled with thermal water. The Romans build a network of canals, directing the water from the source to the pools at the base of the hillock, or nearby, canals that were dug into the ground and walled with wood planks. From this moment on, the „lake” became a cult place. The intense use during the Roman epoch is proven by the discovery in 1935 of statues representing Asclepius and Hygeia, as well as the temple dedicated to the Nymphs, some altars, statues, coins and golden votive plates dedicated to the healing gods and to those protecting thermal waters. Also at Geoagiu Băi is preserved part of a Roman road, paved with stone slates, which was meant to connect it to the military camp of Cigmău. At present there is only a 165 m portion left. The spring water is rich in calcium and iron, and its temperature is 33°C, belonging to the mezzo-thermal, oligometallic waters. Geoagiu Băi spa and resort was awarded in 2010, at Brussels, the title of „Romania’s Excellence Tourist Destination”.