Deva fortress

Deva fortress dates back to 1269, when it was documentarily mentioned as Castrum Deva and it is located on Dealul Cetății [The Fortress Hill], at the foot of which lies the town of Deva, at an altitude of 371 m. Deva fortress is considered to be one of the most important mediaeval fortifications in Transylvania. The particular strategic position of the height overlooking Deva made for its habitation as early as prehistoric times, traces of habitation since the Neolithic and the Bronze Age having been discovered. The fortress was turned by Iancu de Huneoara into a nobleman’s castle, later on successively extended and becoming one of the most powerful strongholds in Transylvania. The fortress guarded the entrance into and exit from Transylvania along the Mureș valley, one of the most important roads to the center and West of Europe. In 1848, it was the headquarters of the imperial troops that took action against the Hungarian revolution. In 1849 the ammunition depot was blown up, which badly affected the fortress. At present, one can see several wall belts going along the contour, square or round towers and stately gates, as well as the ruins of the palace, restoration works being in course. The access to Deva Fortress is possible both on foot, starting from the town park (The Fortress Park) and by means of a cable car starting from the square at the foot of the hill.