The Convent of Prislop

Imagine: 
English
It lies 13 km from Hațeg, in the Hațeg County, in a clearing, at the altitude of 640 m, surrounded by hills that slope down to the monument. The monastery was erected in the latter half of the 14th century by Nicodim, later sanctified, considered nowadays as the re-organizer and leader of Romanian monachism at the beginning of the Middle Ages.The actual church of Prislop monastery dates back to the end of the 14th century and it was built out of stone, in a three-conical plane, with the steeple above the nave, an architectural detail that is specific to churches from Wallachia. The name of the monastery is related to the name of Saint Ioan from Prislop, who retired from the monastery some 500 m away and dug himself a hermitage into the rock, place known today as “The House of the Saint”. It is supposed that he lived here in the 15th century or in the first half of the 16th century. Also here is the grave of Father Arsenie Boca, the third founder of the monastery who designed and supervised all the construction and embellishment works done at Prislop Monastery between 1948-1988, some of which were done by him personally; lately, the monastery has become a place of pilgrimage.