Cioclovina cave

Imagine: 
English
Cioclovina cave is located in the North-West of the Sebeș Mountains, in the territory of the village whose name it bears. The overall length of the cave is almost 8 km, one of the openings being in Ponorici sinkhole and the other one at Cioclovina. The cave Cioclovina Uscată [Dry Cioclovina] is suspended above Cioclovina cu Apa [Wet Cioclovina] and it is considered to be the most important part of the catchment area. The cave starts at the foot of a steep, forested limestone slope, and it was inhabited as early as the Superior Paleolithic, as proven by the discovery of the oldest skull of homo sapiens fosilis in Romania, but also by other traces of habitation: fire places, bone and flint stone tools. In the Dry cave, was discovered the oldest single calcite crystal in Romania (113 cm), and also here, there is an important lode of guano, a natural bat manure, exploited until 1930. It was transported to Pui railway station, by means of a 8 km long funicular. The walls of the cave have amber beads, incrusted into the calcite, as well as bat skulls. The access of the tourists in the heart of the Dry cave is prohibited, a wall having been built in order to prevent the destruction of the stalagmites and stalactites inside. The Wet cave has a monumental entrance, 20 m high and very wide. The cave is impressive due to the beautiful corrosion shapes, such as: pressure tubes, having a diameter of up to 5 m, ceiling and wall potholes, as well as the 6 m Grand Ceiling Septum;             A Hallstatt treasure was also discovered here, consisting in over 600 metal accessories and several thousand amber, ceramic and colored glass beads.